How to make "Homemade Vanilla Extract"
That's right - you can make Vanilla Extract at home! Here is the recipe from - Givmme Some Oven
- 4 whole vanilla beans
- 1 cup vodka (or see note below for a non-alcoholic substitution)
- Use a paring knife to carefully split each vanilla bean down the middle lengthwise, cutting halfway through the bean so that the seeds are exposed.
- Place the vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle. Then pour in the vodka so that the beans are covered.
- Place a lid on the jar or bottle, and give it a gentle shake. Then store in a dark place for 4-6 weeks, until the vanilla is nice and dark and flavorful.
- Use as desired. If you'd like to strain out the vanilla bean seeds, you're welcome to do so. But I recommend leaving the beans in there -- that way, you can continue to top off the vanilla with more vodka as you use it, stretching out the beans so that they last for about two bottles' worth of vanilla.
For the 4-ounce small bottles, you will need 2 beans per jar. (I cut them in each in half to fit in the bottles more easily.)
For the large 4-cup bottle, you will need 16 beans.
Cooking time listed above does not include the 4-6 weeks needed for the vanilla to soak.
*Most real vanilla extract that you purchase at the store is made with alcohol. But if you would like a non-alcoholic version, I've read that you can substitute food-grade vegetable glycerine in place of vodka. The same ingredients amounts and instructions in the recipe above apply.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Staying United through Makeup, Beauty and Lifestyle
How to apply highlighters?
Let's take a quick look at how and where to apply highlighters and few products to achieve your glow
Did you know, rose fruit extract is known for it's toning properties? That being said, we would like to introduce you to the latest facial toner...
With shimmering shades that range from neutral to dark, this new imported Make up For Ever Star lit powder/liquid adds a beautiful sparkle
Now you can highlight like a Pro. Use it on cheeks, eyes or lips to give a fuller look