How to make "Homemade Vanilla Extract"
That's right - you can make Vanilla Extract at home! Here is the recipe from - Givmme Some Oven
- 4 whole vanilla beans
- 1 cup vodka (or see note below for a non-alcoholic substitution)
- Use a paring knife to carefully split each vanilla bean down the middle lengthwise, cutting halfway through the bean so that the seeds are exposed.
- Place the vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle. Then pour in the vodka so that the beans are covered.
- Place a lid on the jar or bottle, and give it a gentle shake. Then store in a dark place for 4-6 weeks, until the vanilla is nice and dark and flavorful.
- Use as desired. If you'd like to strain out the vanilla bean seeds, you're welcome to do so. But I recommend leaving the beans in there -- that way, you can continue to top off the vanilla with more vodka as you use it, stretching out the beans so that they last for about two bottles' worth of vanilla.
For the 4-ounce small bottles, you will need 2 beans per jar. (I cut them in each in half to fit in the bottles more easily.)
For the large 4-cup bottle, you will need 16 beans.
Cooking time listed above does not include the 4-6 weeks needed for the vanilla to soak.
*Most real vanilla extract that you purchase at the store is made with alcohol. But if you would like a non-alcoholic version, I've read that you can substitute food-grade vegetable glycerine in place of vodka. The same ingredients amounts and instructions in the recipe above apply.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Staying United through Makeup, Beauty and Lifestyle
Getting ready for a party and just can't find the perfect lipstick shade to add that final touch?
Have you ever wondered what it would be if we could have Art as Makeup? This week the highly anticipated collaboration line between Jean-Michel-Basquiat and Urban Decay was launched. Now available for shipping from USA to India the entire collection!
Do you notice dryness of the skin or dullness and uneven texture? Now available for shipping from USA to India is this blend of Six African Oils and antioxidant rich Lala Retro Whipped Cream from Drunk Elephant!